Featuring superb photography and a haunting score from maestro Ennio Morricone, director Sergio Corbucci’s bleak, brilliant and violent vision of an immoral, honour-less West, is widely considered to be among the best and most influential Westerns ever made. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Sergio Corbucci’s masterpiece, The Great Silence, on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK from a 2K restoration.
On an unforgiving, snow-swept frontier, a group of bloodthirsty bounty hunters, led by the vicious Loco (Klaus Kinski) prey on a band of persecuted outlaws who have taken to the hills. Only a mute gunslinger named Silence (Jean-Louis Trintignant) stands between the innocent refugees and the corrupt killers. But, in this harsh, brutal world, the lines between right and wrong are not always clear, and good does not always triumph.
This new special edition Blu ray has the following special features –
- Limited edition of 3000 units
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase
- Limited Edition reversible poster featuring the film’s original artwork
- Limited Edition set of 4 facsimile lobby cards
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration
- English and Italian audio options
- Optional English Subtitles
- Brand-new audio commentary with author Howard Hughes and filmmaker Richard Knew
- Brand-new audio commentary by filmmaker Mike Siegel
- Brand-new interview with Austin Fisher, author of Radical Frontiers in the Spaghetti Western: Politics, Violence and Popular Italian Cinema
- Audio commentary by director and Spaghetti Western aficionado Alex Cox, recorded live at the Hollywood Theatre, Portland in 2021 : Included with kind permission of 36 Chambers LLC.
- Cox on Corbucci – filmmaker Alex Cox talks about Sergio Corbucci [15 mins]
- Western, Italian Style – 1968 documentary [38 mins]
- Two Alternate Endings (both fully restored in 2K), with optional audio commentaries
- Stills Galleries
- A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Western expert Howard Hughes
- All Extras Subject to Change