Arrow Video have just announced three new titles scheduled for the UK release late June / July.
The killer tomatoes are back! But this time around, they’re going to have to contend with late ’80s George Clooney and his wicked mullet… Is it a fruit? Is it a vegetable? Nope, it’s Return of the Killer Tomatoes!
Ten years on from the Great Tomato War, mankind lives in fear of another uprising by the waxy red menace. Meanwhile, Professor Gangreen – played with gusto by the great John Astin from TV’s The Addams Family – sets out to pursue his own evil ends by creating a burgeoning army of tomato militia men (who, somewhat conveniently, look just like regular men).
Following on from the 1978 cult classic Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Return of the Killer Tomatoes came armed with a healthy sense of its own ridiculousness and would expand upon a franchise that now comprises four films, two TV series and a video game. So what are you waiting for? Make Return of the Killer Tomatoes one of your five-a-day now!
- 2K restoration from the original film elements
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p)
- Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM )
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary with writer-director John De Bello
- Hangin’ with Chad– Brand new interview with star Anthony Starke
- Image gallery featuring rare behind-the-scenes stills
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
- Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by critic James Oliver
- Released 27th June Region B
Jack Hill spent the seventies specialising in tough female characters. He made movies about girl gangs (Switchblade Sisters) and women in prison (The Big Doll House, The Big Bird Cage), turned Pam Grier a star with Coffy and Foxy Brown, and contributed to the Cheerleaders line of drive-in favourites with The Swinging Cheerleaders.
Kate, an undergraduate at Mesa University, goes undercover as a cheerleader for her college newspaper in order to expose ‘female exploitation in contemporary society’. But instead of oppression she finds love, friendship and a bigger fish to fry: corruption in the football team, headed up by the coach and his pals.
A favourite of Quentin Tarantino, who screened it at the very first Tarantino Film Fest, The Swinging Cheerleaders features a cast of cult favourites including Colleen Camp (Wayne’s World, Game of Death), Rainbeaux Smith (Caged Heat, The Incredible Melting Man) and future Playmate of the Month Rosanne Katon.
- Brand new 2K restoration from original film materials
- High Definition (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD Presentations
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Audio commentary by writer-director Jack Hill, recorded exclusively for this release
- Brand new interview with Jack Hill
- Archive interview with cinematographer Alfred Taylor
- Archive interview with Hill and Johnny Legend
- Q&A with Hill, and actors Colleen Camp and Rosanne Katon recorded at the New Beverly Cinema in 2012
- TV spots
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on all the film by Cullen Gallagher
- Released 4th July All Region.
One of the lesser known entries in the annals of the ’80s slasher film, Satan’s Blade is an eerie slice of US regional terror ripe for rediscovery by horror fans.
Arriving at a snow-capped mountain resort, a group of youngsters are met by the news that a double murder has taken place there the previous night. Despite this grisly revelation, they decide to stay on, unaware of the knife-wielding figure stalking the wintry landscape… Could the local legend about a vengeful mountain man have some truth to it?
Shot in Big Bear, California in 1980 but not released until 1984, L. Scott Castillo, Jr.’s Satan’s Blade succeeds in establishing a thoroughly creepy atmosphere – helped in no small part by a freakish nightmare sequence that’s sure to inspire more than a few sleepless nights.
Director- Approved Special Features
• Brand new 2K restoration of the film presented in both 1.85:1 and 4:3 (1.33:1) versions
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Brand new audio commentary by The Hysteria Continues
• Interview with writer-director L. Scott Castillo, Jr.
• Remembering Satan’s Blade – Castillo narrates a look at various items of Satan’s Blade memorabilia
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ryan Tobin
• Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Brian Albright, author of Regional Horror Films, 1958-1990
- Released 11th July Region B