Bounty hunter Jack Walsh has got a new assignment, one that could set him up for retirement. He’s just got to get bail-jumping accountant Jonathan ‘The Duke’ Mardukas back to L.A. by midnight on Friday. But he’s not the only one on his trail. The Duke’s just embezzled $15 million from the mob who want him dead, trying to get him first are the FBI who want him to testify, five minutes in his company and Jack just wants him to shut up. It’s going to be a long journey from New York to L.A.!
Director Martin Brest ticked all the right boxes for this funny and enjoyable action comedy with a great cast and fantastic script. Charles Brolin steals the show as the Duke, with a dry wit and great understated performance. This was Robert De Niro’s first crack at comedy and he tackles it with gusto, the dialog is sharp and funny and overall this is a very satisfying way to spend two hours.
The transfer is a good solid 1080p, some DNR has been applied and maybe a bit of colour boosting but its a satisfying if not spectacular picture. Audio is DTS HD 5.1 or PCM Stereo and both give a good sound performance with good separation and bass response.
Some good new extras are on this release including:
– We Got the Duke – Interview With Charles Grodin. Fascinating if short interview where he explains his role in the film and other interesting tidbits on his career.
– Moscone Bail Bonds – Interview With Joe Pantoliano. Another good interview with insights into his role and the film in general.
– Hey Marvin! – Interview With John Ahston. Fabulous talk about the making of the film, his career and his relationship with the director .
– Midnight Writer – Interview With Screenwriter George Gallo
– I’m Mosely! – Audio Interview With Yaphet Kotto
– Original Making Midnight Run promo.
A great selection for a great film. Recommended.
FILM: 8.5 PICTURE: 7 AUDIO: 7 EXTRAS: 7